Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!

Welcome to 2012!


The end of 2011 kicked my butt on a personal level. It also did on a veggie level. I ate way too much dairy. Like way too much. I get a little jealous Donna sometimes because she is allergic. Stupid? Yes, but true. If my reaction to dairy was more than a tummy ache and the feeling of guilt picturing the cows that have never seen pasture, or the thought of their babies torn away from them, sometimes cruelly, then I might be able to avoid the awesome melting pot of ¡QuĂ© Bueno! (although I do have serious doubts about how much dairy there actually is in that, which is also gross.) That's right guilt and gas can still not be enough of a deterrent


But I am not really going to beat myself up. This is a learning process for me and my family. I can say, right now, I can not possibly think of anything that would possess me to willingly/knowingly eat meat again. I won't prepare meals at home that I am going to eat that contain eggs or dairy. But I am still going to eat my Mother's molasses cookies. Why? Because they are her molasses cookies. They mean something else, they aren't taquitos or mini quiches from the store that someone flopped on a plate and I am expected to be polite and eat because "hey, sometimes I have dairy". They have a story, that is more important than the butter and egg? ( I have no idea how to make them) that is in them.


~Part of this outlook I owe to Jonathan Foer, author of Eating Animals. A full review will come later.~ 


I do however feel the need to really get back in the saddle. So I am going to start the year with 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart: Boost Metabolism, Lower Cholesterol, and Dramatically Improve Your Health By Neal D. Barnard. A few holiday pounds shed, a better feeling in my body and some new ideas, will help remind me why this is the best choice I have made for myself and for my family.

Again Happy New Year from VanVeggie and may 2012 bring you peace and happiness. I know it will for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment