Thursday, January 12, 2012

Review - The Happy Herbivore Cookbook


Not all vegan food is healthy, you can still be a big fatty and eat vegan if, for instance, all you eat is French Fries. Lindsay S. Nixon, author of The Happy Herbivore Cookbook: Over 175 Delicious Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes, created a cookbook that has recipes as delicious as they are healthy.


All of the recipes have no or very little added fat which is great for your heart, but can take a little getting used to when it comes to cleaning your pans. (Honestly, I haven't had that much trouble with clean up yet, but I keep expecting to.)

I haven't made all the recipes in this book (there are over 175 of them remember), but I have made quite a few and haven't been dissappointed. The Chocolate Zucchini Muffins are probably the #1 winner so far. The Ghandi Bowl is our favorite quick fix and we love the Mac and Cheese.

Today for kicks, I wanted to try the Black Bean Brownies. The recipe can be found here - http://happyherbivore.com/recipe/vegan-blackbean-brownies/ as well as in the book. To be honest it was the only thing that I have had that I wasn't thrilled with.

They had too much cinnamon and tasted too much like banana.  So next time I am going to follow the alternative recipe - green bananas but added sugar. And no cinnamon. Maybe decaf instant coffee.

Batter

Baked

My tester. She only took one bite...wah wah.

I am going to try again soon, because the had all the potential for total deliciousness.  But seriously everything else has been great! And so healthy. Totally worth picking up at your local bookstore. Maybe with it's help I can lose this damn holiday weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment