Monday, March 4, 2013

Quinoa Taco Salad

In my house, not only are we vegan, but we also have to be wheat/gluten free, and now our daughter  has to be soy and sugar free as well. This can make cooking.....challenging. I have had to do a TON of research (still do daily)  I am constantly trying new things, and try to have an arsenal of quick and easy recipes that I can pull together on the fly. Because guess what? If my day/evening gets crazy, we cant just order a pizza, or drive thru somewhere to grab a quick dinner. *Look for future posts with tips for being plant based and allergen free =)

Right now, we are quite fond of Quinoa. I like to cook up a large batch on sundays to use through out the week.  The other night, it totally came in handy as I through together this super yummy recipe last minute. 

Quinoa Taco Salad

You Will Need:

1 1/2 cups cooked Quinoa
1 can drained Organic Black Beans
1 can drained Organic Pinto Beans 
1 package taco seasoning (I use Trader Joe's Taco seasoning, if I don't make my own. It is one of the only ones that doesn't have gluten or soy in it)
Shredded Lettuce
1 handful of tortilla chips, crushed
Taco Toppings- We used diced avocado, diced tomato, olives, salsa, green onions, bell peppers. You can use whatever toppings you wish, Some Daiya pepperjack or cheddar shreds with a dollop of "Sour Cream" would be great.

1. In a large skillet, heat up the Quinoa and beans. Add Taco seasoning, and cook as directed.

2. Place Lettuce on plates (or in bowls) Place about a cup of 'Taco Filling' on top of lettuce.

3. Add toppings, and finish with a sprinkle of crushed tortilla chips on top. 

4. Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. This looks great. I would have never thought to use quinoa this way! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete