Sunday, May 6, 2012

Thank you Costco and avocados!



Peeps!! Costco started carrying gardein™ crumble. I really like these better than Light Life's Smart Ground®. The taste is a lot milder and is has a little more texture to it. Kris and I just threw it in some marinara sauce, heated and poured it over spaghetti noodles. It was so good!! Also great for tacos.

Speaking of tacos-  Yesterday was Cinco de Mayo and I made guacamole. I think all in all I ate about 3 avocados yesterday - whoops.

Here is my go to Guac recipe - 
2-3 ripe avocados (mine came from costco too - costco is just killing it for me right now)
1 clove of garlic
1 tsp coarse sea salt (really  the coarser the better)
lime juice from half a lime
2 Dolot cubes of frozen cilantro (find it in the Trader Joe's freezer section - so damn convenient)
Couple dashes of chipotle powder
a few food grinds of black pepper

Mash up your avocados and add everything but the garlic and salt. Put your peeled clove of garlic in your pestle with the salt - grind until it is a paste then add it to the other ingredients. Don't have a mortar and pestle? Get one. You can find them for like 9 bucks at TJ Maxx. I just throw mine in the dishwasher when I am done. It totally rocks. If you use fewer avocados, it will be pretty flavorful. If you use more, just add a little more lime juice.

Then pick up some chips.

In stunning chip news Kris and I have switch teams and are now team Don Pancho and no longer team Juanitas. WHAT? I can hear you screaming. Juanita's has always been the absolute best, but recently we branched out. (Actually I think it was an accident, or they were out of Juanita's, I am not sure what happened there.) But Don Pancho, hold up better in dip, are less oily (but not too much less) and are slightly saltier. Juanita's Chilipeno still take the trophy on flavored chips though.

No comments:

Post a Comment