Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Not Tuna Salad

I saw a recipe for Mock Tuna Salad in the Happy Herbivore cookbook and it totally inspired me to make my own using ingredients I love.

Her original was good so if you are looking for a standard recipe complete with pickles and celery, check out her website or buy her book!

Here is what I whipped up.

Greek Toona (or whatever way you want to show that it isn't really tuna by misspelling it) Salad

Gonna have to call this not a very appetizing picture. It was yummy, I swear.


  • 1 can of Garbanzo Beans (aka Chickpeas) rinsed and roughly mashed
  • 1 can of artichoke hearts drained very very well. I squeezed them. Shred them up.
  • 8-10 kalamata olives finely diced
  • 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
  • 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
  • 1 big ol' shake of garlic powder
  • a couple teaspoons of roasted seaweed (I just chop it really finely or you can by the kelp flakes)
  • a good splash of balsamic vinegar
  • a couple scoops with a handy spoon of vegan mayonnaise
  • salt and pepper


As you can see, not an exact science. Add as much or as little of the things you like.  Mix it all up and serve it on a bed of  microgreens. Also tasty as a wrap or on bread, anything you like salad on really - In a bowl is also good...

(Psssst - you can buy microgreens anywhere, especially farmers/urban growers markets. I got mine from Trader Joe's because they have totally made me their bitch.)


No comments:

Post a Comment